View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I had some substantial hyperacusis at one time....it came on from nowhere.

That can happen with PN as well as withdrawl.

I agree with your premise that the drug companies should give directions on how to wean...unfortunately it gets left up to patients a lot of the time. It also seems like those withdrawl effects seem to hit us when we get to some threshold dose, or blood level. In the past when I have dealt with withdrawl issues, I just keep using reason, like you are. Hyperacusis does cut like a knife tho. Awful feeling!

'Weaning' is so the pits....you know it is never easy and it takes time, and you feel awful the whole darn time. I don't 'wean' very well, as I am just a let's get it over with kinda person....(not the way to go, I know). Titrating off drugs is totally important. There is so little that sits with me right now that I even loathe putting a thing in my mouth....but I certainly can not stay in my current state either.

You know...I think your comment on those lab results is really a good point. I agree, that there is no magic number at which point some one is above or below 'normal'. Ranges can vary from one lab to another. That is an issue I have brought up before with docs, however, I usually land smack dab in the middle of ranges, to make issues more complex....or I sit at the borderline of abnormal-normal. What is normal for one person can be not so normal for another.

And Mel, the advice about staying out of the loop on your friend is totally right on the money. You can get stung quite badly by good intentions. The pharmacy should set that lady's pills up in pill boxes, that way she knows and who ever checks on her, or you know she took those pills.

I lost my dog of 14 years and cat of 17 years last spring....and talk about a wreck. I knew it was coming, we put them down together buried them together....it was tough. It was good we could bury them here....if not I would have gotten an urn, seriously. I get that attached to my pets...and I have kids!! It is worse before it happens and a relief when it is done. You grieve and go on.

This poor lady has a lot to deal with and perhaps part of her problem may be that or not taking any of her meds correctly. She may be forgetful. I really think having her meds set up in pill containers, you know the ones that have little places for times and or days of the week. Most pharmacies offer to do that for older people.

Families are often caught between their aging parents wishes and what is safest for the person....they often conflict.

Losing indepedence and control is a very difficult issue for folks. No one wants to be dependent on others or a burden.

It was nice of you to check on her.

Gotta go..timing out on this typing, pardon any typos.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote