View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJean View Post
I've been Dx'd with CPS since 2001 after being incorrectly dx'd with fibromyalgia and without these people I wouldn't be where I am today (getting "better" - read more function and better coping skills, not less pain). I did benefit from fibro centered treatment, since I've suffered intense muscle spasms since I was hit in my first rear end collision. I take an insane amount of medication; anticonvulsents, opiates, analgesics, and muscle relaxants - antispasmodics.

While these have significant side effects (and I have a lot of "resources" to cope and get the "best bang for your buck"), they're better than "hurting" so bad that you bang your head against the tub in hopes of knocking yourself unconscious just to give yourself a little breathing room from the overwhelming negative sensation while knowing full well you may go too far and die. One way or another, you get a little respite. How the American medical system can think intractable pain isn't lethal is beyond me since the risk benefit analysis is similar to someone doing intense chemotherapy?

I've had to do most of my therapy myself, so I have a lot of work a rounds. Plus, I'm a research molecular geneticist, so I understand the science behind this weirdness. Additionally, I've had to change doctors yet again as my insurance coverage changed and my great open minded doctor needed to retire since her also has disabling neurological pain. (Do you all *hate*having to attempt to detail what's going on on those little diagrams they have you fill out repeatedly, just to have them require you to detail all the little nuances you work so hard to distract yourself from in attempt to stay sane. I really wish i lived in Europe at times.) This time my PCP, sent me to a neurologist who had a fit when she saw my medications. She sent my to a physiatrist (physical med doc), who sent me to a rehab psychologist.

This idiot rehab psychologist who professes to be a scientist, decided after an hour interview, not having my medical records, and an not one of these doctors did a physical exam (though I was too "hot" to be touched until Nov) that I have a somatic disorder. "Much, most, a significant amount of my pain is due to anxiety about interacting with new people and being out in the world" since I've been house bound for 7 years and bed bound for 5 of them after repeated falls when my legs or arm electrified me and I lost my balance on my forearm crutches. I almost was run over in the middle of the road because I couldn't get up after the fall since the street was covered in wet sand and fallen leaves and needles.
Welcome, and thanks for your post! While your situation is more extreme than mine (I've not been bedbound, just frequently housebound, and only use a wheelchair occasionally), I can relate all too well to the false diagnosis of a somatic disorder by someone who didn't bother to look at my medical records. This was made worse by the fact that she was being paid by a long-term disability insurance company to say that I was engaging in symptom magnification for financial gain (completely untrue, of course).

Can you tell me the difference between CPS and fibromyalgia? Because I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2000 but do not respond to any of the usual treatments for it. Not that I'm anxious to undergo any more treatments or tests (I just finished a stint at Mayo for autoimmune disease), but I would hate to labor under the impression when I have one disorder when it's really another.

I agree with the others that pain is an incredibly complex thing, especially the intractable kind. I think there is also a lot of overlap that doctors don't even know about yet. I just hope that technology advances to the point that a simple test can prove how much pain a person is in and what the origin or origins of it is (like the fMRI only better??).

fanfaire