View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 02:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default myasthenia and loosing weight - can it be done?

HI,

I have myasthenia gravis and i have gained a ton of weight (almost a 100 pounds in the past 2 years). I am not on prednisone but i still struggle b/c prior to myasthenia (started at age 16) i was very thin and then as the disease generalized (at about age 22) i started picking up the weight rapidly b/c i had to give up the 7 sports i was involved with and i associated food with energy but the food i would eat failed to give me the energy i needed to compensate for the myasthenia (which i was only diagnosed with during the past year). It has gotten to the point where i can't really ride my bike any more partially b/c of the weight and partially b/c of the fatigue and doubble vision. i have very little outlit for exercising (other than walking) and I'm wanting to get back into bike riding but I'm not sure how to progress up to that level (i used to ride 5+ miles per day before the disease generalized). I am trying to change my eating habbits now but i'm finding that i need to add exercise. however, the myastenia has generalized to the point that if i'm not careful my legs will collapse beneath me. i know there is a weight loss forum, but i wanted to start here b/c the weight gain is mostly related to the rapid degegredation of my energy levles. i know it is a self perpetuating cycle at this point but I don't know how to break the cycle at this point!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
bobcatsrule is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote