View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 06:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Types of HEADACHE

Cathy....
Headache is such a common complaint/ symtptom that often can be quite complex to treat as well as painfull , debilitating & crazymaking. do you know what type or kind of headaches you get? was DX given? or more details, specifics about your headaches that you can share???

I've been researching headaches and there are so many kinds--often knowing what type/kind of headache or addressing more aspects/details -- HOW it hurts {dull, throbbing, stabbing, burning, etc]
WHEN {constant, intermittant,morining, wake at nite with, etc]
WHERE {temples, back of head, neck, radiating into other areas....

IMHO & experience dealing w/ many DRs/specialsts for many & various manifestations of headache pain may facilitate better, or more appropriate treatment IF/when these details are relayed.
Some [better] DRs will ask but many don't inquire about the details that could result in DX and most appropriate treatments & interventions for You.

I have long Hx of Migraines (w/out aura) also episodes of cluster type. I 've been treated for "mixed HA" . In past few years my Neuro added DX: "complex Migraine" (too complex to describe but this Migraine has extra symptoms not experienced in "classic" & "common" Migraine.

Recently I was given name/DX: Occipital Neuralgia - for these crazy head & neck pains I've had for 10 yrs, since car accident w/ TBI. got much worse last year after another head injury.
I thought were separate issues/problems---the neck pain --even tho would radiate up into back of my head, which is always very sensitive & painful. often developed Migraines (w/ throbbing temporal pain nausea, vomiting, photo & photo phobia & other common Sx)
all these together = Occipital Neuralgia (including the injurys)
Most headache & migraine meds don't help me. What was best were nerve blocks but duration of relief varied {i shared this before??--if so, sorry to repeat.
I'm scheduled to get Botox this week. sounds very promising --per DRs & others that have gotten

I've been doing more research on these headaches. Having a name/DX does make seeking info easier but getting DX can be difficult.
If interested I can/will share some of the Better sites/Links ... let me know

some TBI research --esp from a few litagation sponsered sites, w/ much more detailed info. than many of "medical" ones--expressed that headaches/pain after TBI different than other types of headaches and can be challenge to treat .
Many here simple say I have headaches, or even Migraines, but it may be more...and diffucult to get interventions that can help

my recent "headache" DX acknowlege head/neck injury as a cause
Now hope the treatmt options offered will help, at least w/ this aspect of TBI/PCS -- perhaps one of the most debilitating

wishing you ALL the Best
pono is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote