View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Question Cervical Radiculopathy? Comments

I have noticed a couple of posts about cervical radiculopathy. I haven't researched the symptoms, yet, but, to start:

If you have an EMG / SSEPs / Nerve testing, they should test "up high enough" to the "C-8", which is where they stick the poker up on the back of your neck area. (I am repeating what Dr. Annest's neuro Dr. Mechanic of Denver was telling me as he was doing it.) IF there is "slowing at the C-8", and you don't need comparisons as there are expected norms by the way, although I agree it is more thorough and seems more sound to test both sides at the same time, but anyways, if there is slowing this TENDS to show TOS and NOT cervical radiculopathy.

Further, for cervical radiculopathy you need to see an MRI of the cervical spine. Almost anyone over age 35 will have notable findings of "degenerative disc disease" or "small 1 - 3 mm disc bulges" or some stenosis or drying of the discs. Almost all of the people who have these kinds of SMALL notable findings do NOT have cervical spine problems, or pain - ALTHOUGH it is still medically possible that even a 1mm bulge could cause someone pain if it just happened to be pushing on the nerve in a bad way. These are all generalizations, from the tons of talks I have had with cervical spine ortho experts and the TOS docs. So the MRI of the cervical spine is important to get your whole picture.

Finally, if you get a "scalene muscle(s) block" injection, and this is usually done by your pain management doc or sometimes a neuro, IF you get a result of relief, less pain or something notably BETTER, (this is a diagnostic test, not a solution), then again, it TENDS to conclude one to TOS. In fact, I think this is the MOST reliable, (if anything about diagnosing TOS is reliable), test.

Now, I have a question:

I know with RSD (CRPS) which many of us have along with our TOS, you get major color changes of your hand. (Other conditions also.) But here's my question, I know with garden variety TOS you DO GET COLOR CHANGES, such as high redness, we call it the "lobster claw." Now, question is, with JUST cervical radiculopathy, does one get this color change phenomenon? I am wondering if we can add the major red color change, (or blue, spots of coloring, etc.), as an indication of TOS vs. cervical radiculopathy.

I will try to research that later, as I think it's important to consider in our list of tests.

God bless guys.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote