View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I wish there was a magic pill, so...if we knew some event was going to befall us, that we could just take this pill, and it would quiet all our nerves, so nothing would burn.

Now wouldn't that be a cool pill???

Until it is developed though, I will just have to continue distancing myself from people who hurt me.

Sorry to go off topic, but (and it kind of relates to diabetes and neuropathy),I need to ask you guys your opinion.
I have lost friends over these past 3 years. Two to death, one, a friend of 46 years who stabbed me in the back, and more recently, one of my friends (also a neighbor), who I know for 10 years. Two years ago, she phoned me up and said "would you like to go to Costco with me", (Alan hasn't driven in 7 years), so of course I jumped at the chance". I did my shopping, saved big bucks and was eternally grateful. We became friends and every Wednesday, we'd go to the supermarket together. She never had to go out of her way to pick me up. I live right around the corner. And she wanted company in the car. I have never (I repeat never), have called her up and said 'Can you drive me here or can you drive me there?? I have Access-a-ride for that.

Well, two months ago, I knew it was Costco time and I said 'when are we going?" She said "I can't take anyone in my car? and I said 'why not?? and she said "my husband doesn't want me to". I said 'if it's an accident you are afraid of, isn't that the reason one has insurance?" She said 'doesn't matter". So I said nothing, and we were still friends although I never accompanied her in her car anywhere. I went to her home, she went to my home.
Last month they bought a 2008 car. Beautiful. I saw it on my way to the store.

I called her and marveled how the car was so nice. She said "oh, you like it, I really don't". I found that strange. Then I said 'do you still have the rule that you can't take anyone in your car?" and she laughed and said "I don't know yet".

So 8 days ago, I called her and she told me she hates to ride alone in the car, I then said "well, let's go shopping, I mean, we've been doing this for 2 years, I don't get the problem". She said 'my husband won't let me". I then said "so don't tell him, I live right around the corner and we can go, and you can drop me home, and then park your car, I mean wht's the big deal, I just don't get it, you have insurance". Then she said 'that's not the point". I then blurted out "so WHAT IS the point??" and she said (you guys won't believe this, because I still can't). She said:

"My husband doesn't want me to chauffeur anyone around" I was dumbstruck. I said 'what are you talking about? we go shopping, just tell him you don't want to go shopping alone". Her husband told her "nobody ever chauffeured me around when I was young, and she then said 'no one ever chauffeured me around either" Then she asked me 'did you ever drive anyone around?" I then said 'of course, Alan used to drive and we'd take our friends (who didn't drive), we'd take them out and when I was not married all my friends had cars and I was the only one who didn't drive, and we all went out together" I wasn't about to say anything else because the whole thing made no sense so I then changed the subject. She then said she was tired and I said 'well, go and sleep".

Haven't heard a word from her since. Been 8 days.

She's a diabetic and she was told she has diabetic stomach. She knows I go to Cornell, she has seen me lose weight (I never mention a thing because I'm not stupid, but my body shows the difference). Her husband once commented to me privately "how did you lose the weight, why can't my wife do this?" and I just said "don't tell her you spoke to me about this, she's sensitive". I bet he said something to her and she's mad.

How stupid is this? She's a 63 year old woman who used to go shopping with me and now that I have my diabetes under control, and lost my weight (she's quite obese). Well, I sense that this has nothing to do with chauffeuring anyone around.

what is it with people, when their friends do something about their health, they feel threatened. Her doctor told her that she has neuropathy in her stomach and she yelled at him "what the hell do you know"?

How can a person just give up a friendship so easily? I will never understand people. Really, I won't.

Sorry to vent but this is rather disturbing.

mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote