View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Note a little history..

the new propellant came out about 10 yrs ago as Proventil HFA. (albuterol).
It took several years for the FDA to decide to require this in RX inhalers. That took several years to implement as well.

The inhaler delivery device is quite complex. People typically don't even think about it. But it has to be designed to give exact doses each time. So it is a very sophisticated little device. For a VERY long time there was the only one maker of generic albuterol because of this. (Warrick owned by Schering who makes Proventil). Then a company in Ireland designed one, and Zenith/Goldline bought it. This is the reason why there are few generics for inhalers. I have seen articles claiming that the inhaler device costs far more than the drug inside it.

So designing a new form is going to cost the drug company alot of money and time (lost sales). I personally don't think Wyeth will reformulate it. The paper I copied above shows that the medical community does not want this inhaler on the market. Wyeth, is suffering financial losses now, with the disasterous decline in Premarin sales, so it may not spring for the new inhaler costs.
This is the only reply to my question at Wyeth board:
Quote:
nonymous

Default Re: Where is Primatene Mist?
I think that the inhaler was to be pulled perhaps because the propellant contained CFCs and the company did not want to go through the process of coming out with a newer version. Tablets may still be available.

Again, not 100% sure. Ask the pharmacist.
There were a 118 views total. no other responses. I think that reflects a negative feeling.

Concerning other treatments...
I find for myself that Singulair has completely allowed me to be free of inhalers. I only keep one albuterol for
emergencies and that goes out of date, before it is empty. Singulair works very well for me. I also use
Omega-3s and they help reduce bronchoconstriction for me.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 01-15-2008 at 02:35 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (01-15-2008)