View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I just back from Costco...

But I do not like going out in this mess (slip and fall risk)...so I begged hubby to drive me on
his lunch hour... so I could zip in and out quickly. It was a good walk anyway.

My point is this:
If statins were so wonderful we'd see CLEAR benefits. And we don't. There are still problems with the studies, they are very close, filled with %'s of %'s, to confound. After 20 yrs we still have no clear proof...and these drugs are
not innocuous. They cause cancer in animals. There are huge downsides to them. So the benefit vs risk is not there for most people. Remember Mevacor first came out as a treatment ONLY for familial hypercholesteremia. I know a gal with this, her cholesterol was 800! That is the group these drugs were supposed to be for. Not for lowering 20-50pts for 250.

Cholesterol serves a purpose as we age. It is in the skin to convert sunlight to Vit D. It improves memory, and immune function.
This website is very interesting reading:
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/index.html

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote