View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Omega-3s

are a form of essential fat that our bodies use to repair cells.

Omega-3s are responsible for the skin on our bodies, our mucous membranes, our nerves, heart, many things.

One thing they do is minimize bronchoconstriction. When Omega-3s are low in the diet (and the US diet is very low).. then the lungs do not work well. (other things also do not work well).

You can read more here: (note ~~ flax oil is as good as perilla oil and easier to find and use)
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm
Quote:
Asthma

Clinical research suggests that omega-3 fatty acid supplements (in the form of perilla seed oil, which is rich in ALA) may decrease inflammation and improve lung function in adults with asthma. Omega-6 fatty acids have the opposite effect: they tend to increase inflammation and worsen respiratory function. In a small, well-designed clinical study of 29 children with asthma, those who took fish oil supplements rich in EPA and DHA for 10 months had improvement in their symptoms compared to children who took a placebo pill.
a little more technical:
http://www.asthmaworld.org/asthma-OMEGA3.htm

While I understand your concern about the possible loss of Primatene... I have to say that asthma is a very sneaky and dangerous disease, and can kill you unexpectedly. And while I do not like the "medical" community futzing with our freedoms, when it comes to asthma you must have some understanding about the consequences it can deliver.

I really don't like ANY inhalers...RX included. I find Singulair the best thing that ever happened to my asthma (which I don't even think about much anymore).
I have a chemically reactive asthma..which is triggered by chemical fumes (ammonia floor strippers), smoke, exhaust etc. I can be fine one minute and desperate the next depending on the environment. I used to get pneumonia and bronchitis often, but after fixing my Omega status and using the new Singulair, that is all history. I did the Omegas more than 10 yrs ago, then Singulair is new and I think they work together.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (01-15-2008)