Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
the new propellant came out about 10 yrs ago as Proventil HFA. (albuterol).
It took several years for the FDA to decide to require this in RX inhalers. That took several years to implement as well.

The inhaler delivery device is quite complex. People typically don't even think about it. But it has to be designed to give exact doses each time. So it is a very sophisticated little device. For a VERY long time there was the only one maker of generic albuterol because of this. (Warrick owned by Schering who makes Proventil). Then a company in Ireland designed one, and Zenith/Goldline bought it. This is the reason why there are few generics for inhalers. I have seen articles claiming that the inhaler device costs far more than the drug inside it.

So designing a new form is going to cost the drug company alot of money and time (lost sales). I personally don't think Wyeth will reformulate it. The paper I copied above shows that the medical community does not want this inhaler on the market. Wyeth, is suffering financial losses now, with the disasterous decline in Premarin sales, so it may not spring for the new inhaler costs.
This is the only reply to my question at Wyeth board:

There were a 118 views total. no other responses. I think that reflects a negative feeling.

Concerning other treatments...
I find for myself that Singulair has completely allowed me to be free of inhalers. I only keep one albuterol for
emergencies and that goes out of date, before it is empty. Singulair works very well for me. I also use
Omega-3s and they help reduce bronchoconstriction for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
are a form of essential fat that our bodies use to repair cells.

Omega-3s are responsible for the skin on our bodies, our mucous membranes, our nerves, heart, many things.

One thing they do is minimize bronchoconstriction. When Omega-3s are low in the diet (and the US diet is very low).. then the lungs do not work well. (other things also do not work well).

You can read more here: (note ~~ flax oil is as good as perilla oil and easier to find and use)
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-3-000316.htm

a little more technical:
http://www.asthmaworld.org/asthma-OMEGA3.htm

While I understand your concern about the possible loss of Primatene... I have to say that asthma is a very sneaky and dangerous disease, and can kill you unexpectedly. And while I do not like the "medical" community futzing with our freedoms, when it comes to asthma you must have some understanding about the consequences it can deliver.

I really don't like ANY inhalers...RX included. I find Singulair the best thing that ever happened to my asthma (which I don't even think about much anymore).
I have a chemically reactive asthma..which is triggered by chemical fumes (ammonia floor strippers), smoke, exhaust etc. I can be fine one minute and desperate the next depending on the environment. I used to get pneumonia and bronchitis often, but after fixing my Omega status and using the new Singulair, that is all history. I did the Omegas more than 10 yrs ago, then Singulair is new and I think they work together.
Quote:
And while I do not like the "medical" community futzing with our freedoms, when it comes to asthma you must have some understanding about the consequences it can deliver.
Well, they don't seem to care if I go without. trying to BlackMail me into taking all these unrelated and unessessary tests just so they can bleed my insurance company. I refuse to cooperate. If it kills me well, it probably will kill alot of other people too who are victims of all this unnecessary testing. Last year I was SO sick, I really thought I wasn't going to make it, Seriously. I had to go to ER 4 times for braething treatment. They gave me ONE inhaler for 5 months of debilitating sickness. THEN after that I went to my clinic and they Still wouldn't give me refills. They don't care about the patients, only the Money. I have to find some Natural remedies so I don't have to rely on drug stores. I will look into this Omega 3-s. Iwill do a Search now. Thanks mrsd.

Last edited by Wiix; 01-15-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Wiix is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote