View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Stiff-Person-Syndrome/Stiff-Man-Syndrome? Any info?

Hi to all - I'm a new member and wondering if anyone has info about SPS/SMS (Stiff-Person-Syndrome/Stiff-Man-Syndrome) It was originally named Stiff 'Man' Syndrome because it was diagnosed primarily in men, but that has changed, hence the 'Person' in the title instead.

It is categorized as a neurological disorder and the symptoms are caused by problems in the central nervous system. The patient suffers from terrible muscle tightness and spasms. It causes you to be 'stiff' and it makes it difficult to impossible to move normally, plus it's painful. They believe it's an autoimmune condition.

I have small fiber neuropathy and autonomic nerv sys dysfunction. I'm in alot of pain all over my body and have the terrible never ending muscle tightness and spasms from neck to toe. No one has been able to diagnose the muscle symptoms. My muscle biopsy was normal.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about SPS. I came across it in one of my desparate internet searches for small fiber neuropathy answers. It's a rare disorder and is linked to sfn.

Thanks for any light you can shine on this!

Sharry50
sharry50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote