View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 01:22 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi - if you haven't tried the new machines you should

my husband had severe apnea and couldn't stand the machines, so over a two year period he got every surgery from the co-founder of the Stanford (first) sleep center.
He got his lower jaw broken in the front with a little square of bone sawed out - the one with the tendon to the tongue - so they could rotate it once and put it back in, which tightened up the tendon and brought the tongue forward, for an additional few millimenter of space for breathing.
He got both jaws broken in 4 places halfway down the jaw, with implants, so that the whole jaw (mostly the lower) could be moved forwardro create a bit more breathing space. His bite was so well preserved, that he didn't even have to wear braces!
He got uvalectomy, tonsilectomy (terrible to watch him in the ICU feeling like he couldn't breathe) that helped a little.
I'm sure there were ,pre sirgeroes. bit can't remember them all. After a couple of years he got tested again for apnea. What a disappointment to find out he still has it.
He just has too big a natural fat pad the back of his throat (has nothing to do with one's weight.
So, he got a machine and it's like a different animal from before. So quiet, so much less uncomfortable. Make sure you see what's out there before assuming it will be as bad as before.
Good luck
1994 broke neck lifting dad - misdiagnosed 4 yrs by HMO as carpal tunnel and malingerer (!) Lamination with titanium 97 - full Central Sensitization by 2000. Now get meninges inflammatory attacks that cause venous occusions leaving me concussed or writhing without enough time to recuperate. Can't wait for Clifford Woolfe's selective painkiller for only nerves in pain. Now on Methadone, bacofen, etc. usual effects
gizmogirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote