View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I have had RLS my entire life....40 years ago, people thought you were crazy.

We have a family cluster of it. It is made worse by any drug with anticholinergic affects, antidopaminergic effects and SSRIs. We can not take cold medication, allergy medication etc.

The only thing that stopped it was Mirapex. Other drugs that may work for people are in the family of opiates and clonazepam. Mirapex or Requip need to be started at the very lowest possible dose and in the evening only. I have seen unfortunate people given the same doses as are used for Parkinson's disease. Those doses are much higher and generally not needed for RLS.

RLS can also affect the arms, and upper back, yes, it feels pretty weird. It can also occur during the day in rare cases.

RLS occurs when people have low ferritin levels, however, I could not get my ferritin high enough with just oral meds.

I also have small fiber neuropathy.

Lately my RLS has taken a break...which is weird, as I have been on Mirapex for 8 years, tried to get off numerous times and could not...I had a weird episode of not sleeping for 3 full days and nights....and the fourth night...no RLS.

I am sure it is lurking somewhere and once I get used to not having it, it will creep up on me again.

That RLS website mentioned is very good.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dorrie (09-03-2008)