View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 05:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi.

I definitely think that RSD plays a role in tooth health. I just had a huge shock at my dental appt yesterday. I've not been to the dentist in 3 years as I've put this off and just been totally involved in dealing with the pain of RSD. Some of my teeth have been breaking over the last year or so. I haven't had any real pain or discomfort because the narcotics I take mask much of this. The dentist told me that the narcotics play a role in deteriorating my teeth, particularly the Duragesic patch.

I would now need 5 root canals and some minor cavities filled. I just can't believe this as my teeth were fine and I used to go to the dentist regularly! The cost is substantial and I don't have sufficient insurance coverage. The root canals also scare me to death as I am very worried that RSD could spread to my mouth. Just from the x-rays taken my jaw is still sore.

He told me to consider extraction and referred me to a surgeon. If I choose to follow this route I could request that the extractions be done at the hospital and therefore our public health care would cover the cost. I'd have to have a partial made and the dentist thought this might cost about $1,000. I'm devastated thinking about this option as I'm only 44 and have always had good strong teeth. Yesterday I cried a ton and was really ticked off at having been stuck with RSD. I'm feeling better today but I have no idea what I'm going to decide. I will say that I waited too long and would urge everyone not to make the same mistake.
miss irie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote