View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 08:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Had a neuro appt today..........Surprise! Surprise!

OK! Get this! I needed to see my neuro since it had been one year and my four Rx's needed refill. I called the office on Monday and left a message. I called again Tuesday and left another message. Tuesday afternoon the secretary calls and lo and behold they had a cancellation and they could see me at 10:30am on Wednesday morning. Needless to say, I grabbed the appt.

Went to the neuro appt this morning and she started the pounding with the hammer. No reflexes in the arms, inside and outside of the elbow, none in the wrists, minimal reflex in the knees, which used to be hyper-flexive, and no reflexes in the feet. OK, am I dead here or what? Then came the pin. I could not feel is sticking me in either leg, arm, or cheeks. Then the tuning fork. Could see it, hear it when on my cheeks, but no feeling of the vibrations. She also did the hot/cold test using the metal tuning fork. Right side of my body it felt warm to hot. Left side was cool to cold.

All the while she did all of these tests she was saying, "wonderful," "great," "super," "just great." I never got the impression these statments were of a positive nature, if you know what I mean?

I also have had a problem for the last two weeks of a stabbing and constant nerve pain from under my right shoulder blade, through my shoulder, tricept, elbow, and down my right arm stopping a few inches up from my wrist. Wonderful!

Bottomline is, MRI w/without contrast on the new Tessia machine of the cervical and thorasic spine. I learned today that in 2005 I had bone spurs in my cervical spine. She thinks possibly they have moved and now impinge on the cervical spinal cord or it could be severe continued deterioration of the motor neurons from the Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (HSP). If it isn't the bone spurs then I'm screwed as there is nothing they can do for me but manage the chronic pain.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted you to fully understand my situation for today.

Dx'd 12/00 w/RRMS
Dx'd 05/01 w/SPMS
03/05 Rescinded MS Dx Neuro thinks something else
03/06 New Dx of Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia (HSP)
Rare deteriorating motor neuron disease. No cure. No Treatments.
Only 20,000 Dx'd patients in US
HSPCraig is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote