View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 10:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 10 year old with PCS, day 23

My 10 year old slid into the boards during a hockey game and has now been diagnosed with PCS. We've gone from a regional ER to a neurologist at Children's Hospital in Boston, consulting with our pediatrician in between. Everything I'm reading is quite scary. We've been assured he'll make a 100% recovery both cognitively and physically, but now I'm wondering how they can know that. Nancy, you mentioned a great physician out of Concord, MA. We have been quite dissatisfied with the lack of support offered, even upon repeated requests, for help with integrating back to school (which is the #1 recommendation) as well as managing the daily headaches. The phone number to the Children's Hospital Neurologist on-call is really only helpful in a crisis situation. We've been told that our son is not a candidate for the Neuro-clinic at CH. I'm thinking now that I need to get on the phone tomorrow and find a neurologist who specializes in concussions. I wonder what your experience has been. Both my husband and I are starting to feel desperate. Today was just day 2 back at school, which ended with the worst headache thus far. We too have talked with the teachers and he's basically doing "what he can" for now. Best of luck to your son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
My son is 5 weeks out from his PCS diagnosis from what a neurosurgeon we went to calls a Grade 3 concussion. He received it wrestling mid February after being dropped on his head. He is 16 and devastated. He is still dizzy and having cognitive issues with reading, memory etc. The symptoms get worse after riding in a car. He does not even feel like sports, so not even a frustration. School has been hard and we are modifying his curriculum now until he improves. He is in all honors AP classed and very good student. This is a serious condition and causing alot of upset to his life. The trainer put him back out after injury because he did not lose conciousness. These discussion communities help because I feel you do not know what to do. He also feels a leg injury etc would have been more appreciated. Good luck with your daughter. We are seeing a great physician out of Concord MA who was also Johnson's physician. He is very interested in sports head injuries.
sbosco is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote