Thread: Methadone
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Here's the latest.

With the Methadone (as opposed to oxy contin) I am having more even pain relief. Less high ups and downs.

Better digestion. This is definitely a PLUS.

The pain control is just not enough yet, though, but my pain mgt. doc is working with me to get it at the right level. Also, we use:

Tizanidine (Zanaflex), Xanax, Ambien and I am back try Motrin on a very limited basis. (After 4 years of constant Motrin use, it was blowing out my liver!)

You know, I don't like being on meds at all. But, without it, my pain is so high, and when I have high pain, my arms and legs literally stop working. And the newer symptom of difficulty in breathing - hard muscles in the chest - that symptom is very scary. (I calm down and really meditate until it passes, usually about an hour.)

I share this info. only because when I first had TOS I had no idea what kind of meds to ask for, or even if I was appropriate in asking for help. (I'd had some docs telling me that TOS was not that painful. Boy, were they stupid and wrong.) So I share this to give others maybe the support they need to speak up for pain relief help. I don't know ANY TOSer who is a med-seeking fake - every single one doesn't want to be on meds, but is trying just to find the right level so that one can exist.

My goal is to get out of bed more often, and to get more general movement for the betterment of my overall health. I do worry that being bedridden will cause other health issues.

Don't forget that with any of these pain meds, that we need to maintain a "bathroom schedule" as well as push fluids, as my bladder / kidneys got really bad one summer, because I was just laying in bed too long...just a reminder.
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote