View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 09:38 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My brother has MS

I got a very strange email from my brother last night. Apparently he was dx'd in Nov by accident. I was accidentally dx'd after going to the doc with headaches. His story is even weirder. His BIL works at a hospital giving CT scans. He's learning how to do MRIs and asked my brother to come in so he could practice on him. Turns out, he has a brain full of lesions too. No symptoms or exacerbations either.

That makes my mom, me, now my brother (all dx'd at age 31). Then my sister calls and tells me it's time for her to get an MRI. Apparently, 20 years ago, she went for a CT scan because of an injury. She remembers seeing the report which said "multiple plaques". She thought that was odd, since MS is the only thing she knew of that caused plaques, but noone ever mentioned it, so she just forgot about it. She has no neuro issues, but now she's concerned too.

I had just about convinced myself that it would be ok to try to have a kid. Now that it appears that my family hit the MS genetic jackpot, it seems awfully selfish and not terribly wise.

My head is still kind of reeling. I haven't talked to my brother yet, I'll probably call tonight. We don't get along and speak only at funerals and weddings. Should be interesting.
greta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote