View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Adding to my collection of health issues...

Yesterday, I went back to the Mineral Metabolism department at the school here. The initial reason I was evaluated there was for Osteoporosis or bone loss, probably exacerbated by a long intake of steroids... "Probably?"

Something odd showed up in the testing. Uric Acid was elevated to almost twice the normal range... He started me on Allopurinol...This, in itself is a concern, because I have a fatty liver and it can be toxic to the liver... Great, who is supposed to follow my liver and how? Liver enzymes? Internist? Rheumy? Whoever? This doc is a diagnostician, not one of my "many" regulars... Enzymes have been elevated in the past, esp w/NSAID's...

I know this is elevated in Gout, but I have never been told I had Gout, or even tested for it, as far as I can remember... Hyperuricemia is a term that keeps coming up in Google. Any idea why I would have this elevation? I do take a lot of AlkaSeltzer, and note a connection to aspirin...

Great, now I cannot feel a little safer taking something with aspirin to help avoid a heart attack or stroke...

In Gout symptoms, burning is mentioned, although I think it is supposed to be in the joints. My joints do burn (a lot, while I am trying to cut steroid dose), but I have burning in other areas too. Can Uric Acid burn in other areas?

Anyone have a clue here???

Cathie
Yorkiemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote