View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

JustJanie,
My memory loss was very profound at first. I did, however, remember my son and my husband during everything. I just could not recall what we spoke about 2 minutes prior.

I had 1 month in-patient speech and occupational therapies, and an additional nine months 0ut patient therapies to help me re-learn how to program my memory. My therapists worked together to devise a system that would help re-train my brain to remember basic tasks. They had me use what we called a "memory book". It was a basic spiral notebook I carried everywhere with me. I was to jot down date, time, and specific info to help "jar" my memory. At first, I was quite elaborate in my writing. I then found it very time consuming to re-read. I then started to write down short reminders that were to get my brain working again. Low and behold, it did! It took some time, but now, as long as I have had plenty of sleep, my memory is pretty darn good. I don't have the "glitches" I used to have. (They were sort of like black holes in space.)

Please be very encouraging with your son. Tell him it will get better as his brain heals from the trauma. Time really does help.

I can really relate to you writing your son can not remember if he ate, etc. I made a simple graph for myself and hung it on my refrigerater to remind me either to eat or tell me if I had already eaten.

Please know my surgery was in 2000. I have had quite a bit of recovery time, and realize this will probably be one of those life long quests.

I wish the best for your son, and your family. Don't give up. Tell him you love him often, and be proud of his accomplishments, Dodi
Discododi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote