View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 08:32 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

sbosco,
Sorry for slow reply. sometimes i go a few days before touching base with this site. Yes, i can understand how frightening this situation is for you. Your son will get better!! When my son started school again he had a terrible headache after his first day and really looked exhausted. The terrible fatigue is also a symptom for awhile. He is doing his best and do not push him too hard because it will slow down recovery and bring on symptoms. Let me start by telling you my son is doing extremely well now and completely back to where he was before. It took about 6 months or so! His symptoms gradually faded away. It is 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. We went to see Dr, Cantu out of Emerson hosp. in Concord MA. We saw him every 2 to 3 weeks and then much less often and now we do not see him at all. Our last appt. was in October. This helped because he saw a large volume of PCS kids and adults and does research in this area. It is a long drive and no treatment was given other than reccomending notes to teachers about not doing homework or taking exams for months at a time. We also saw Dr. Neil McGrath out of Brookline MA, this was a great help because he mapped out a plan for rest and also was very experienced with the PCS recovery process. Initially my insurance company did not cover this but then they did. He spent hours with us initially. It was the most valuble appt!!! He is a neuropsychologist and Dr Cantu is a neurosurgeon. I would see Dr. McGrath for sure or at least call him. He has a website www. sportsconcussion.net. I will not overwhelm you with more information. Time and rest will heal your son, the doctors will help support you with school notes to teachers. Mostly listen to symptoms back off if he gets headaches, he is young have him get exempt from homework and if he can start with half days that is great. My son was a Sophmore in high school. He did not do homework or exams for the rest of the year and made up his work over the summer and started as a Junior. The school supported him all the way and he is now doing better in school than he did prior to his injury. We are just trying to keep him from reinjuring himself with no live wrestling this year. GOOD LUCK, you will be O.K.
Nancy
Nancy F is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote