View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Sinemet Question

Hi everyone!

I haven't been around in a while - been in "diagnosis limbo" and just have been trying to ignore my symptoms and not to think about Parkinson's Disease if at all possible!

Well, I went to see my MDS last week and she finally decided to try Sinemet. She believes that I have either Parkinson's or Dopa Responsive Dystonia. So the plan is to try Sinemet. If it works, then we KNOW it's one or then other. If you have Dopa Responsive Dystonia, Sinemet is the "cure" and you take it daily for the rest of your life. The test with Sinemet is to narrow it down to the 2 diseases, if Sinemet doesn't work, we know that I don't have either, but if it works we know I have one or the other.

I started the drug on Monday and within an hour I had a GREAT improvement on only 1/2 tab. I even took before and after video of the bradykenesia in my left had - pretty amazing. I am supposed to continue to titrate up the dose of the Sinemet until I'm taking 1 full pill three times a day - right now I'm at one full tab twice a day. When I go back to the doctor, she will take me off the Sinemet and try one of the angonists. If it's Dopa Responsive Dystonia, the agonist shouldn't work and that would narrow it down to Parkinson's. I really feel in my heart that it is Parkinson's as my symptoms are unilateral and Dopa Responsive Dystonia should be bilateral. Plus most cases of Dopa Responsive Dystonia begin in early childhood and it is VERY rare. We will see! The good part about Dopa Responsive Dystonia is that there is a cure - Dopamine!!

The question I have is related to the nausea I am experiencing with the Sinemet. I feel very sick for at least an hour after taking it. I've tried taking it with food which does help, but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Lora
BrownEyedGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote