View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 04:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My crazy update - probably have diabetes for a long time, didn't know

Hi all, haven't been back in a little while. A lot going on. Let's see where do I start. MS is ruled out at this time. Still have neuropathy of both feet - burning and such. Still on Neurtonin 1600 mg a day. Now......The more I tested my blood sugars, the more I started to think - Geese, maybe I do have diabetes..maybe my neuropathy is from diabetes - maybe I have diabetic neuropathy. Crap! My numbers are not good (I have my own monitor because I had gestational 6 yrs. ago). Sooo, I called my neuro back and told him even though on 12/5 I told him he didn't need to test me for diabetes "because I didn't have it", I would now like him to order the 2 hr. GTT test and A1c.

So, I went for that on Tuesday. The 1/2 hour readings were "ok". I remember her saying the 1 hr was 212, and then they went down from there, so 212 was the highest which is ok. THen, my A1c was 5.3. When she called last nite, she said "you don't have diabetes". I was SO relieved. I said screw it to testing my BS's (I thought my monitor was messed up based on my "good results). Then, she called me at work this AM and said neuro and his nurse reviewed the results more thoroughly and they feel they are suggestive of diabetes and they would like you to follow up with your regular Dr. for more testing, etc.". I was stunned to say the least.

I came in to work in such a good mood, then by 10am, I was NOT in a good mood.

So, that's where I'm at. At this point, I'm wondering how long I've really had diabetes. I think back to when I was 18 (20 years ago) a random drawing before a small surgery I had was 138. They didn't think anything of it although my mother was a bit concerned, they all blew it off.

Then I remember a few years (like 10) I did a fasting draw at that same clinic. I don't remember the results of that, but I ordered copies of all labwork from that clinic as soon as I got that phone all. Throughout all these years, I remember having hypoglycemic episodes. I would shake and hunger and I HAD to get some food in me when that happened, and then I always felt better. But my glucose monitor numbers have been 175+ 2 hrs,l after eating. Then they would fall considerably in less than 2 hrs. down the 70's and I would shake. This happened to me two days in a row this week.

SO, that's that - any comments LOL?? This is crazy, isn't it?

What if I had diabetes for all these years and now I have had neuropathy for who knows how long - CHIT - my feet will probably turn gangrene and I'll have to get them cut off. Now I am in tears here.

Gotta go, I'll write more later this weekend.
Sandra. 38 yrs. old. DDD diagnosed 2004. Spine is a mess Cervical MRI-C6/7 significant protrusion impinging spinal cord-impingement on left C7 nerve and bone spurs; Thoracic MRI - Small protrusion T7/8 impinging spinal cord; Lumbar MRI -2 protrusions sitting on R&L S1 exiting nerve roots. YIPPY!
want2bwell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote