View Single Post
Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Do you think i have Restless Legs Syndrome?? Should i take Iron???

Hi everybody. This is the first time i post here. I generally post in the Periperal Neuropathy forum. That is what i was told i have. After two years and getting steroids (and all their horrible effects), IVIG, a close to Gluten free diet, vitamin b12, hyperbaric osygen therapy and NO releif i decided i should give my condition an other approach. I was reading about nutritional chances when i ran into an article stating that neuropathy and restless legs syndrome are related conditions. They mentioned how RLS can be a consequence of a neuropathy and viceversa. So, reading among the reasons for RLS. I read it could be caused by iron defienciency. I ran to the lab and had my ferritin levels measured. The are 40 ng/ml. I read in many articles that all people who have RLS and ferritin levels lower that 50ng/ml should take iron supplements and could be beneffited. So i want to ask you two things.

Do you think my doc gave a wrong diagnosis and what i really have is RLS??.

My symptoms are the following:
1. Weird sensatiosn in my legs (tingling, feelings of water running etc)
2. Increased discofort while trying to rest and at night, but i can sleep well.

Should I rule RLS out or i should consider it as a possibility??

I have other questions. My problem began two years ago, i case my condition were related to iron deficiency, could i still be benefited from iron supplements?? Wouldn't it be too late?? If you think i should take iron supplements, which ones and what dose do you think i should take??

Thank you

Monica
Monica de Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote