View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Thanks Janster....

She directed me to this thread... I missed it!

Kimmy--- are you not hungry, not eating because you are ill?

Often when people are sick, they won't eat food, but they will drink liquids.

You can make smoothies, with fresh fruit/yogurt/milk/soy milk, whatever you
want. Adding some powdered whey, will give you quality predigested protein.

I guess if I had to recommend a way to start the day, when you aren't
comfortable with "breakfast", I'd suggest a smoothie.
The smoothie would give some quality protein, potassium, calcium, etc and would be easier than "food" which you would have to chew and swallow.
Vegans can use soy milk, rice milk.

From the foods you listed Kimmy-- I don't see good potassium sources, right off the bat. Bizi put a potassium thread on here recently...which is very good.

Often when people are EFA deficient (Omega-3) they lose interest in eating..since the stomach cannot maintain itself when Omega-3s are low.
There are foods now with them in it.
Smart Balance Mayo
Omega-3 eggs
Smart Balance peanut butter (has flax oil in it)
Smart Balance spreads...two types
There are flax breads out there now. I have a gluten free one from Whole Foods even.
You can make Good season's Salad dressings with flax oil, and get it that way.
Zone Perfect bars have Omegas in them.

If you have lots of nausea as part of some illness process, you could try ginger extract 1 hr before eating. I have a congenital GI birth defect that causes nausea for me, and I found ginger really helps..and can last up to 8hrs and is better than anti-nausea drugs most of the time. Ginger extract comes in capsules and is very inexpensive. You should take it with at least 6oz of water though.

When you eat some protein with each meal, you control insulin levels, and feel better. This controls spikes in insulin, which can cause low blood sugar attacks. The Zone Diet plan controls metabolism this way so you can feel better.

It is important also to get minerals..like zinc. Zinc is really important for thyroid hormone conversion, skin health, preventing and getting over colds/flu, and even emotional stabilty. If you take a multi, make sure it has zinc in it.
I use OptiZinc daily as an extra insurance policy since I am exposed to sick people all the time... (but since you have nausea--I would take it would food). OptiZinc is the easiest to tolerate (zinc sulfate commonly in stores is awful).

This is a pretty big subject for you... to make some lifestyle changes. I found when I did this over 10 yrs ago in my home, we all just did one new thing every few days, and slowly phased out unhealthy habits. It is a huge task
to make alot of changes all at once. I think people do better with a slow approach.

Any questions, ask here, or PM me. This month has turned out to be rather
tight for me (so goes my attempted retirement!)...

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote