View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petpuppy View Post
Cherie, how do you know when you get a UTI? I've had one and only found out in the ER ward but this is something I'd like to keep a closer watch on also.
Hi Petpuppy, so nice to see you again!

Sometimes I have symptoms, but unfortunately other times I don't have any indication until the fever hits. By then, it would normally be "too late" and I may already be headed into an attack.

I have learned how to empty my bladder completely now (by leaning ... for me the LDN helps too), so it isn't as big of a problem any more. But UTI's can be a BIG problem for many of us.

Off of the top of my head, I recall experiencing burning, pain, hesitantcy, a low grade fever . . . or at times it was ONLY a sudden "flare-up" of MS symptoms. The first thing I do, whenever I have new symptoms (even for just a few hours), is to keep an eye on my body temp. If it is a UTI, I would often have a low grade fever, up to 100 degrees maybe, but this was often a sign of a UTI for me. I treat a fever consistently.

From my personal experience, and since I have gone into full-blown attacks from disregarding the warning signs of a UTI, this is the first thing I am checked for when new symptoms come on (which are not explainable by other triggers; heat, fatigue, stress). There have been a few times where I've probably wasted my doctor's time by being testing (lab tests are the most accurate), but I'm am very sure that this regime has helped me to avoid some attacks too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Cherie