View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default TBI Support & Mediciation help :)

I really am blessed to have found this site. For those of you with a serious head trauma that have had experience ... I could use your help here:

I have a traumatic brain injury from an auto accident in December of 2006. I rolled over on I-95 many times. I was in a coma for 31 days and woke up in mid-January. My brain injury has caused me to have complete amnesia for roughly 15 years. Now on top of this, I suffer from BRUTAL chronic pain. In August of 2007, I was put on Fentanyl 25 mcg. and it was wonderful. After a few days my pain just began to vanish.

On Jan 17th of 08, I had to have surgery on my leg which removed a tumor that had been there for a while but was aggravated by the accident. So now, the post surgical docs have me on Oxycodone 5mg.

I quickly came to realize that the Oxycodone removes NOT ONLY the surgical pain but ALSO makes my nerve pain about 75% better!!! It's wonderful not having the nerve pain!!

My question for those of you who've been down this road ... Do I explain this to my pain management doctor and see if I can stay on this for good?? Will 5mg Percoset work for BT pain or do I graduate to something stronger b/c I will get used to the Percoset like I did every other opiate pill? Also ... now I know an Oxycodone based drug will kill the nerve pain. Like I said, mine is about 75% gone, but I'd imagine with something stronger or a more effective medication ... it'd be 100% gone!!

What route is the best to take here? **ANY** feedback would be much appreciated!

J
Joe M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote