View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Please talk ahead of time with the Dr about pain control, and stay with your son, or have another family member with him when you can't, to make sure his pain is being treated appropriately. It's often quite painful for adults, and children are more likley to be under-medicated for pain. I know you must worry about your son being on strong pain meds, but believe me, if he is actually in major pain he will need them in order for body to relax and begin to heal. The pain post-op is ACUTE pain versus chronic pain, so any med increase will be for a few weeks, not long-term, and he will be tapered off appropriately as the pain recedes and healing occurs.

But the poor nurses ARE overstretched and he may get overlooked and left to wait for pain meds unless someone is there to speak up for him. And it's much easier to keep the pain under some control by taking his meds ON TIME, than by having to try to "catch up" to the pain because he got his meds an hour later than he was supposed to. Push fluids too, it will help him clear the anesthesia out of his system faster. And if he holds a pillow to his chest, he'll find it helps when he has to cough, hiccup, laugh, etc. (Try not to make him laugh!)

Also, have him practice breathing from different areas of his lungs, from the very bottoms, the outside, inner edges, tops. Have him focus on one lung and go "around-the-world" from top to bottom, taking deep breaths from his diaphraghm, then relax a few minutes, then do the other side. Focus mainly on the side that will be operated on. This will help post-op, as the exercises will be familiar, and they can help prevent breathing issues and get him off oxygen sooner.

Has the surgeon advised PT post-surgery? Massage feels GREAT on an achy body -maybe if you call it sports-massage and take him to a sports rehab facility he would agree to it?

Ask for or bring extra pillows to the hospital, he'll want a couple under his upper arm and shoulder blade, and he should rest his forearm on a pillow to take any pull off the surgical area.

Best wishes - and my prayers go with you!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote