View Single Post
Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello

How long ago did you have the procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmike View Post
About a year ago I had L5-S1 , for foraminotomy related to lumbar spondylolisthesis.
I bought into the Dr. Jho story! Simple endoscopic procedure and 80-90% have immediate and significant pain relief.
After surgery, my pain was much worse and I developed foot drop instantly and lost my achilles reflex. Dr. Jho's surgical team came out after surgery and told my family member that they had to "manipulate the nerve" to complete surgery, and it took longer than expected as a result. The next morning they told me the same thing... but at that time, I thought little of it. The pain was the worse thing about the experience, and it lasted at a high level for about 7 weeks.
I went back to my home, out of state, because Dr. Jho was certain that after a course of Medrol Dosepak, I would fine. In initial phone conversations, he could not believe I was in that much pain. His statements were of extreme disbelief (almost like, you must be crazy). The percocet Dr, Jho prescribed, would not touch the pain. My wife called for me on a Sunday, and had Dr. Jho paged. He was extremely rude and critical for paging him on a Sunday. He had little to say that was helpful. He insinuated that I must be crazy and he has never had this degree of pain after any of his surgeries.
I went to a local pain doc and was put on a fentanyl patch. There was little improvement in pain. After a few days, the fentanyl patch was increased to 50mcg. At that dose I has some pain relief, but no where near complete relief.
I called Dr. Jho (although he always would try to pass off phone calls to his PA, who was nice, but not helpful with my issues), and he suggested we drive back. I told him that I would like to, but my pain was so extreme, I could not handle the drive. Again, he talked down to me, suggesting I could my level of pain was not possible. I mentioned the "nerve manipulation", and he shot back "I never manipulated your nerve!". I told him that his surgical team told me and my family member (seperately) that he did manipulate the nerve. He said, "I don't care what they said, I did not manipulate your nerve."
I went to my local primary care doc, a neurologist, and a couple of orthopedic surgeon. After several weeks, the pain was so bad, that I contemplated another surgery (fusion), with a local orthopedic surgeon. I resisted, since one particular surgeon told me 2 surgeries on the same area within 12 weeks was too risky. And the 2nd surgery was extremely invasive...
so I declined the surgery.
I was torn about what to do. I was in alot of pain (lost 15 pounds), and could not sit or stand for very long.
At around 9 weeks, I started to a little better. I proceeded with a nerve block (which I had tried a few times prior to surgery), and that also had helped. Since I did not want to go on disability, I went back to a moderate work schedule after 10 weeks.
I had a about a 50% improvement (vs. my post surgery low point) in early summer) so I went through physical therapy for about 12 weeks. I thought this would keep the progress moving. It did not work.
Hesistantly, in the fall, I went to a chiropractor (I had tried this once before, unsuccessfully), and he immediately spotted a significant leg length discrepency. Over the next 4 mpnths, I procreeded with 1-2 chiro visits per week. Today, I am at about 75% and I believe the chiropractor (and a diagnoses only he made) are the reason for my success. I hope to get this up to about 90% on a consistent basis.
Although I know a few people have had some good experiences with Dr. Jho, mine was quite the opposite. I would encourage everyone, to think closely about any procedure that they think will help their back, based upon Dr. Jho's work on my back!!!!!
mkamph is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote