View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 03:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

LOL......Way to go Dr Momz ! Great diagnostic work !

Missa.....I saw your most recent thread and came back here searching for more info out of concern that you have cerv. radic, TOS, AND fibro.....that your new doctor wasn't dismissing fibro as if it was a case of either/or when it could be a case of both. I've been away a few weeks, so I hadn't seen this one where fibro was dx'd but you were already doubting that dx. It appears that you have great instincts !

We used to joke back on Braintalk that we should take donations and send one of us (like Di, Jo, or Tam before she felt this bad) to medical school so that we could all get the correct tests, dx's, and treatment I think we are going to have to move Momz to the top of the list ! Boy, did she call your case right !

This part could probably go in the new thread, but I am so glad that now you have found a doc who you really feel comfortable with and confident in their skills. You can't get the right treatment plan until they get the dx right. It sounds like what your doc is thinking is that it's a double crush......the nerve is compressed near your spine (maybe a disc, maybe a bony prominence from arthritis or problem with the vertabrae) and in the thoracic outlet. That's sort of what I have going on.......my TOS is better managed now after work with a great PT, but the impingement at the nerve root is still a big problem.

Regarding the Elavil and Lyrica......they are meds that could be prescribed for TOS too. I know that many people here have horror stories related to some of these meds. I think knowing those issues is an important thing to consider......along with the possible benefits and your doctor's recommendations when thinking about a new med. I'm on Neurontin, similar to Lyrica. It does help with the zingers (my name for the occassional intense pains that feel like an electric jolt), but only brings my baseline pain down a little. I gained about 30-40 pounds. Truthfully, I was overweight beforehand and an emotional eater, so I'm not sure that I can "blame" the Neurontin or whether it was from my eating to cope with pain (although I don't think I ate more than usual) and my sudden sedentary lifestyle from pain. After about 5 months on Neurontin I also (like Tam) became diabetic. Again.....can't be sure it was from the Neurontin in my case. I had already been overweight. My mom also has adult onset diabetes........but she was 70 when it developed....I was 40. Who knows ? I have recently tried tapering off it.....my blood sugars were much lower (within normal range even without my diabetes med), but my pain issues were worse, so I'm back on it.

I'm also dizzy.........but is it from Neurontin or TOS/cerv radic/trigger points/chronic myofascial pain ?

I'm also severely fatigued all of the time....but is it from the Neurontin ? because I can only sleep for an hour or two at a time d/t pain ? or could it be fibro/chronic fatigue (which I suspect but have not been dx'd with) ?

I'm on Zoloft and Nortriptyline, for depression and for the help with pain and sleep. I also had good results from Cymbalta in the past.

I guess where I'm going with the medication comments is........read, educate yourself, don't take anything that you don't need..........but if you really need them, the benefits do outweigh the side effects for many of us as part of the pain management plan. Unfortunately, you can't even be sure how effective each ed will be and what side effects that you will have until you are already taking them

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that the right physical therapist will make a big difference. Take comfort in the fact that you are finally on the right path with a doc who gets it. Hang in there !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote