View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I was able to get my orthotics, all of them, covered by insurance and I do not have diabetes. I have substantial, generalized neuropathy including AN. So far, so good. What they likely won't cover for me is any immunosuppressives as everything keeps coming back with no inflammation....the nerve biopsies were quite abnormal 4 years ago and now the muscle biopsy-abnormal....so it is hard to NOT have a case for the orthotics.

I think it depends on your policy.

I have seen all kinds of splints and braces covered...however, they usually have a 2 year rule...AND...some of the better activity orthotics are not covered in full. Also, I think you will need the PT or OT referral for recommending the orthotic or brace and for fitting....One of the braces I looked at cost roughly $5K...for one. I can not imagine my insurance covering that in full.

It is likely best to call and confirm coverage, as you can get 'sold' an unreturnable device, and be stuck with a bill.....medical supply companies will often do that.

That happened with my fracture 'coil' and boy there was a fight over covering that as well....insurance did finally cover it, thank goodness. But the doctor got very fed up with the whole situation. Docs dont like to fight insurance companies and will simply discharge you or refer you on..

That said, I have seen patients have to fight for wheelchairs when they can no longer walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
Im not sure how common this is but my insurance, and i believe that medicare has the same rule, will only cover orthotics for diabetic neuropathy and , not PN from any other cause. The result of all of the drug trials and research being limited to those with diabetic PN? One cause deserves treatment and another does not? I dont get the logic.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote