View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogirl View Post
how do you choose? I have always had success when I get a second opinion. after looking at your fims, a good surgeon should be able to tell you that, for example, that your surgery isn't brain surgery, or if there is anything they see in the films that might make it tricky. Another thing you might want to do is to ask the surgeon who he will be sending you to for pysical therapy. Sometims, you can get an appt before the surgery to learn some exercises to do before the surgery to strengthen the muscles tha will atrophy the most.
Good luck
Thanks, that's useful. I know the surgery will be tricky because of two things:

1) Coming in from the front and moving the trachea and esophagus aside will be a problem, because I had my esophagus created/stitched up at 2 days post-birth; it has loads o' scar tissue....

2) There are bony protrusions on both the front and the back of the neck, and they're impinging on the spinal cord. They need to be removed, in addition to the fusion. Working that close to the spinal cord, I really do want a neurosurgeon.

Thanks for the comments, all. I'm really glad I have a lawyer working to make sure I get to choose my surgeon.

Sandi
sandi_k is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote