View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 11:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thanks Joelle

he is taking Aricept but its really not doing much.. he has only been on it for a 2 months.. but i am not sure how long it takes for the med to start working if it is even going to.. my father will be turning 78 this year and up till this point he has been so indestructible its shocking to see him like this.. i mean this is a man that would do anything at anytime.. be out working on the car at 1am if it needed fixed.. climb 20ft up a tree to saw off a limb without flinching.. get a cut on his hand and just wipe the blood on his shirt and keep working.. i am sure you know the type.. (and he passed that personality quality on to me lol) and it seems (to me anyway) that over night he became afraid of everything... and i hate to say it a little paranoid about some things..

now if he gets a little cut he runs to my mother unsure of what to do.. an we are talking like a scrape with maybe a dot or 2 of blood..

i do try to not take stuff he says to personally.. and if it gets to me i just leave rather then argue with him.. at this point i feel there is no point... since he cant understand.. you wouldn't know it from some of the stuff i have said in the past .. but i am a very patient person when it comes to someone that has problems they cant help... now cut me off while i am driving and i turn into road rage hulk.. lol

my mother i think is still a tad in denial about it all.. but she is coming around and realizing that fighting with him does no good.. and i hate to say it... but tricking him into getting him to do what needs to be done is much easer then fighting with him..

my mother and i have talked about him no longer driving.. but since he really does not go anywhere far or in heavy traffic.. we are waiting it out before one of us has to take the keys.. and if he does have to go somewhere that we know would cause him problems one of us drives him.. but i dread the day we have to take the keys.... that will be a fight.. but it will be a fight that has to be done..

i actually feel it is best this happened when i am younger and still in good enough health so i can help them out.. not really take his place but pick up where he had to leave off on things like yard work, fixing things, ect..

i think i am also going to start a TY log once i start ( probably a video log if they let me bring a camera in the infusion center) other wise it will just be video updates after the deed is done..
PunkDizzle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote