View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

These small dogs, people don't realise, are often as or more agressive than the big ones. My Pomeranian is the most agressive dog I've ever had - and I had a Chow, Elkhounds, etc - even a coyote mix.

He knows he's tiny, but he'll stand up to anybody or anything. Not too bright, lol.

I've been watching the Dog Whiperer and using Cesar Milan's methods, which have helped a lot.

I never liked the choke chain but if it works on Rotty's and Pits, there must be something to it. Plus, it's not about strangling the dog (although that is a fantasy)

It's about a quick jerk to get his attention. And the mentality - "I'm the boss."

No agression, no anger, but assertive leadership is what they respond to.

Put the choke and a leash on the dog, and every behavior you don't like, you yank and say "No" firmly. No petting, no cuddling, no affection. Those things reinforce the bad behavior and make the dog think everything he does is good and possibly he is above you in the pack - because the lesser dog always kisses up to the dominant dog.

Timing is everything, so you have to catch the first sign of agression and yank and say no right there, and do it every time. You can let the leash drag around on the floor for the day, for as many days/weeks as you need until the dog knows the rules and needs little reminding.

Remember to do this with all the bad behaviors though - not just being mean toward a cat.

There's a lot more to it than that, and there are more ways to do it than this. But this is a start and it's helping my dogs.

If you watch Milan, he'll tell you that it's kind of like picturing how you expect them to act, not use too many words - no or shh! are good enough while breaking the bad habbits - thinking that you are in charge and keeping an even temper while you do all this. Your dogs sense if you're angry or upset and respond to that. Good luck!