Thread: ? about TN
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Breakthrough TN pain

Dear Becki:

If you are getting break through pains you need to tell your neurologist about this. Sometimes they can adjust the pain meds by adding another to the mix; upping the dosage of the present med; possibly changing how the meds are taken such as the time of day. I am not a doctor or nurse, but have heard of these various changes being made that stopped the breakthrough pains. But you must keep your neurologist informed of how your pains are not being completely covered. When I had breakthrough pains before my evening dose of Lamictal, my neurologist added another drug - which combination covered all the pain and no more breakthroughs.

I am a fellow Minnesotan! I had the Balloon Compression in 2001 - which took away the terrible pains - but I do have what some call dysesthesia, which is 24 hour a day pressure, sometimes burning, tingling, itching, tickling, on the right side of my face and scalp - my TN side. My surgeon said I was the only one of his patients that had this and I believe him. Someone has to make up the statistics of 5% - 7% having this after effect and I am one of them. However I will take this instead of the excruciating pains.

Let us know how things go.

Shirley H.
Silver Swan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote