View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member
Fabulous Belizean Member

15 yr Member

as far as I know, Ms. Kay1, yes, fever can initiate a so-called pseudo-exacerbation.

and cause residual sx to flare up.

at least, that's the way it goes for me.

and (this is anecdotal, not documented by research) MS flares CAN be preceded by Herpes coldsores (or fever blisters)...

I almost *always* get Herpes on my mouth before a flare.

and... the more sores there are, the worse the flare... geez, I've even gotten them spreading up to my nose, and on both sides of my mouth at once!

so, I keep my ACYCLOVIR prescription always refilled, to stomp the lil buggers down... (400 mg, 2x a day)

# A drug called acyclovir is effective in treating herpes simplex. It must be taken by mouth. There is a cream form, which is basically a waste of money because it only shortens an outbreak from 14 days to 12-13 days and it is expensive.

# For the first attack of herpes simplex, acyclovir needs to be taken for 7-10 days. For recurrent attacks, acyclovir works best when taken as soon as you feel burning, or tingling in the area. Acyclovir only shortens the outbreaks - it does not prevent new outbreaks from occurring unless taken continuously. Acyclovir should not be taken if you are pregnant, unless approved by your obstetrician.# The area should be washed twice a day with a mild soap, such as Dove or Basis.

# Apply Polysporin ointment to the area once or twice a day to prevent bacterial infection.

# Some authorities recommend using L-Lysine 500 mg, an amino acid, found in the vitamin section at the drugstore. As soon as you feel burning or tingling in the area, take 3-4 tablets a day for the first 2 days and then 2 tablets a day until the blisters dry up. Also apply Herpecin-L to the blister every half hour for the first few days. This treatment can reduce healing time from 14 days to about 7 days. These products are available at most drugstores. Make sure you have food in your stomach when taking this amino acid tablet. Taking one tablet daily of L-Lysine has been known to prevent fever blisters in some people.

http://www.skinsite.com/info_herpes_simplex.htm
FlyFishin Momma (01-24-2008)