View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I feel like I kind of derailed this thread, but it didn't have "Recipe" in the title, and it seemed like it could be a discussion thread. Anyway, I'm glad it's officially discussion and I don't feel as guilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondheart View Post
The only food I can think of that is casein free but not dairy free is ghee. Are there any others?
When you read labels on prepackaged food, I've seen whey and lactose, but I have no idea if you can buy those separately to cook with. (Obviously, I'm not looking either.) So, I think "technically" there is more than ghee that is casein-free but not dairy-free. But "practically," as far as baking goes, probably not.

And now, having written that, I keep thinking I read that some soy yogurt and whatnot contain dairy. I've never bothered looking into "fake" cheeses and yogurts, so I don't know. What kind of dairy do they use, if they use dairy? Is it casein? Or whey? Or ??? In that case, I can see a recipe calling for a yogurt substitute and meeting casein-free, but not dairy-free. But, as I said, I don't know.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote