Thread: O/T Lizard
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 08:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchbutterfly View Post
Sounds exactly like me. Gotta make sure that I eat proteins and carbs or I find that my blood sugar will crash. Something that I have to bring up with the doctor (for the fifty millionth time)
Have you ever been dx'ed with hypoglycemia? I had symptoms all my life and nearly passed out waiting for lunch my senior year of high school. I was in govt class when my teacher asked what was wrong. When I told her I was getting sick because I had to eat, she asked if my blood sugar was low. All I knew was that, for years, I had known that if I ate, particularly protein, I felt better. Hearing that, she urged me to get tested. Sure's *****, yep, really low--upper 40s!

From there, all I knew was that I had a reason for feeling like crap and thought I knew what to do...'til I started gaining weight quickly, and my pregs did me in. After my son was born, I had horrific crashes and soon discovered that nursing him wasn't helping, so I made the tough decision to stop. He was 2 mo.

I kept piling on weight after that, and I sought the advice of an endocrinologist who put me on a ridiculous 900-calorie diet of 2/3 carbs! I nearly died!!!!! From there, I simply gave up and ate what I damn well pleased, accepting that I'd probably die by 50 yo. (I'm 40 in two more months.)

Then I went to visit my mom last summer. A few months before, we had talked about all of this, and I told her that my dream "diet" would be one that taught me how to properly portion my food without a lot of hassle (i.e. constant measuring), cut the fat, increase the lean protein and fiber, and help me know what I was eating. She asked me to go to a WW meeting with her, and for breakfast before we left, her hubby (they married when I was 28, so he's not my "stepfather"--y'know??) made me my typical breakfast sandwich WW-style. 6 measley points, and God...it was so good!!!!!!!! I was then off an runnin' learning how to substitute in lower-calorie, higher-fiber, lower-fat ways to get my "fix" and not deprive myself. That was August 18 of last year, and nearly 80 lbs are GONE FOREVER. I have learned how to disperse my points through the day, eating about 5-6 times a day, and I'm losing while I eat what I want, too!! It's so cool!!

If you're serious about it, go to www.weightwatchers.com. There are message boards there, too, so you can get hands-on support and tips.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

LIZARD
LIZARD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote