View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM
arthurhlevine

arthurhlevine

>>>> "Use-wise, I'm probably a step above surfing and email, but 27 steps below you! It takes forever to scan a picture and edit it...I can almost hear the creaking and groaning, and it's kind of like the 60's watching all the black spaces come and go while it tries to do two things at once" <<<<

The newer user-centric versions of the Linux OperatingSystem are about as easy to use and KDE and Gnome based distibutionsare both very easy to learn and figure out for even the most inaware beginner.
But, just like with MSWinwhatever and the MacOS it's the curious sorts who are most successful at finding out the how/what/why of their new computers anyway.

I too was a dedicated MacOS user for many years, I still have 2 IMacs and a PowerMac (though I never use them anymore) and my son is in love with his PowerBook. The Macos is extremely stable, and "robust". That is as much due to the MACOS Unix based heritage as anything. You just have to pay the Appl tax instead of the MSFT tax when you buy a new PC.

IMHO you would be best served by simply going to your friendly local Sears-Roebuck and getting yourself one of their brand new $199 Linux PCs.

Well, I really think you would do best to go to EBay and get the highest spec "buy it now" PC you can find for less than $260.00 shipping included, a $5 a week computer....Then just put $5 back every week and when it fails, just get another one..... Then get DL and burn the ISO image for LinuxMint or PCLinuxOS or SimplyMepis7.0 or DreamLinux and like magic, and for FREE too, you'll have more software and goodies and a more stable and "robust" system than any one else in town.....

Either that, or build you a nice little simple system.

My $.02 worth on the subject
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote