View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Mama...

Is your problem a duodenal ulcer or a twist in the small intestines, or a small blockage that they couldn't see by x-ray? Intestinal conditions requiring exploratory surgery won't kill you, if that's what it is. With colonoscopy they can only go so far (up the decsending colon, across the transverse colon, down the asceding colon and only a short distance into the small intestine and the same with the top end, into the stomach and past the main sphincter into the fist few feet of the small intestine) before they have to do exploratory surgery into the small intestine using a smaller scope (we have over 30 feet of small intestine to look at). I just described this here for people who are wondering what you mean by "exploratory surgery" (if I didn't get it right, please tell me).
You shouldn't fret if that is what it is. They can find the problem that is causing the pain and usually normalize it with drugs or surgery which they are ready to do during the exploratory if it's minor.
I sympathize with you and everybody with pain and anxiety, especially with people with abdominal pain because they are hesitant ot give you any pharmacologic relief before exploratory, usually because it slows muscular motilty, which makes it difficult to do exploratory because they need an empty intestine, and the use of the fleet enema to clear the small intestine may be contraindicated. They will probably use the quik acting anestetic that they use for routine bowel colonoscopy (i forget the name of it). When they have done the deed, you'll come to fairly quickly, and they will give you some pain medication. Of course only you know where you hurt and i could be totally off base here, but i have a feeling that once this is over with you will be OK. cs
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote