View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:35 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi
I have been in the W.C. system for around 6 years. I to just got awarded SS disability and am currently in W.C. vocational rehab program. I have legal representatives in both fields. Do not take what I say as legal advise for some states may have different rules pertaining to W.C. laws.

As far as letting SS know about the W.C. case , you must tell them when you apply for SS , if you didn’t , I think you should do it right away.

As far as taking the rehab classes I was told it would not affect my SS. Once you complete the training I do not know what to expect.

In my case I am getting both W.C. and SS benefits. W.C. pays 66% of my salary at the time of injury. SS pays me 14% of my previous salary making a total of 80% which is the max. they allow. When the W.C. case is settled I will get the full benefit amount for SS.

As far as a settlement from W.C. it will affect your SS benefits. Also Medicare will want a set aside for your future medical needs. They will look at your records and determine what that amount is. I was told if I get a lump settlement I will lose my SS benefits for a period of time. But if you set it up as being paid so much per month for a certain period of time (structured) you can make the payments lower then what SS says you can make per month and then you will be okay.

I hope this helps you some. If you have any thing I can help with feel free to ask

MARK

Last edited by sirmark; 10-04-2006 at 11:12 AM.
sirmark is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote