View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default tendonitis

Hi Fern,
Just a thought or two recalling our experiance with Tos and having a tendonitis flare.

Having long term complicated TOS my daughter went for an IME. She flared terriably from the doc that grabber her arm and raised it before I could stop him and had to grab his arm to STOP!
( A TOSER can only lift their arm on request to a range physically managed, a IME doc will raise and twist it stating in the report that full range of motion lie),
So after the exam De ended up in full pain on the sidewalk in front of the office they were in. I went back in and they had two options; call ambulance or go to ER.
De had me take her to our local ER almost 2 hr trip. WHen we got there, the ER doc stated it was tedonitis. I told him to call upstairs to Dr. Togut's office.
I told him I had been told by the ortho that tendonitis is local, and down not have traveling symptoms. He symptoms went down the arm to fingers up the under side to the chest and flared.

Now another time she still having all the TOS symptoms had excrutiationg pain in the shoulder area, much like a flare, but not where she had flares, new spot.
The ortho a top guy, not for TOS but best ortho, took an xray after telling us most typically it was her TOS, but if tendonitis it would show on the xray.
He took one, it DID show up! He gave her a steroid shot in the spot, and it DID help.

So tendonitis is not long term as TOS, it is local to the spot, and responds often to steroid shot or NISAIDS.
If a doctor has not been able to determine it IS tendonitis, he can not treat you for TOS either, say goodby. If he takes and xray and it is not tendonitis and he insist, while it is a symptom, not new, typical of your TOS, he can not treat you either,.

If you have a managable pain level if you can treat yourself, I use a good soak in epsom salts, Toradol, (kidk butt anti inflamatory), an oxycodone 5/350 and valium (muscle relaxant properties). Me I ice my headpain flare and heat my back after biofreeze.

If you have a new pain like a tooth ache, in the area of the shoulder upper arm muscle, it can be tedonitis and get to an ortho for best help.
Good pain management support, meds that help, not anialate you, ways to live by accomadating, no reaching , no repetative, carry things close to chest not dragging on the arms,etc.

Life is about managing it with TOS, whether in remission, post surgery, or same ol' same ol'. Don;t let TOS manage you. As a long time member tells us!
Take care,
di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote