Thread: Hi im back!!
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill105 View Post
One thing i did want to ask. Our surgeon has discharged orlaith from his clinic(he did say any worries ring and we will get an appt to see him asap) as he doubts she would need anymore surgery. He said the shunt should do her for life, obviously as it is man made it can malfunction, we do know that but he said it is very rare. So why is it so many people here seem to have a lot of operations? I hope i dont sound cheeky, im just very curious.
Well, it's probably just as well that he unloaded you so you're rid of him, 'cause he's clueless. Shunt malfunction is most certainly not "rare." It will in fact occur multiple times throughout a typical hydro patient's life.

Please find another nsg immediately. A single shunt will not last a child for life. Even if there are no problems with cracking, breaking, or blockage in the first 10 years or so, they rarely last more than 25 years. The longest I know of anyone going with a single shunt and no surgery of any kind on it is 39 1/2 years, and I know a lot of hydro patients. This is a very rare occurrence. You do not want to be stuck with her needing emergency surgery and have no nsg. Find another one right away.

LIZARD
LIZARD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote