View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New PCP who--ASKED QUESTIONS!!

I'm dumbfounded. Today I was actually ALLOWED TO TALK to a doctor!

I went to a new PCP because I got on Kaiser insurance, and he actually ASKED me about my dizziness and achiness! What a change from the last three or four PCPs, who immediately made dismissive comments if I mentioned anything. I thought doctors (PCPs, at least) didn't ASK patients about their symptoms anymore.

I think I made the right choice in choosing a family practice doctor; my last three were dour internists, who carefully stayed very far away and didn't want ME to talk--only THEY were allowed to. When they looked at me, all they saw was their holy trinity of blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar. Nothing else was worthwhile.

I also chose a fresh young doctor, too young to be jaded and cynical. The young 'uns are still interested in their job.

It's also amazing to see Kaiser's up-to-date system of having a computer in the room--he just types everything in very expertly, my history, meds, everything. No filling out a paper history form, and the pharmacy instantly has my prescriptions! My old doctors' offices seem Stone Age by comparison. Kaiser also sends you home with a summary of your visit and a printout about your next appointment. I love it!!

Amazingly, too, he listened to my heart and lungs (which in two years my internist never did), and when at the end of the visit I mentioned the difficulty walking (severe strain in my upper leg/hip area from walking continuously more than a block) as an aside to my weight-loss scheme, he said right away that he wanted to see me again in three weeks to do a further exam and discuss musculoskeletal issues. I was flabbergasted!!

I'm really glad someone will actually check that out--the rheumatologist last year, without really examining me, dismissed it as "trochanteric bursitis," which didn't make sense to me. I knew I was in trouble when I recently went for a short walk with my 78-year-old severely fibromyalgic mom who doesn't normally go for walks. She said, "I can walk faster if you want, Nancy," and I had to say, "Oh, no, I'm fine, Mom!" because *I* wanted to slow down--I couldn't even keep up with her!

Five years ago I (thought overweight even then) could easily outwalk my normal-weight husband and vigorous stepdad, making them huff and puff to keep up with me. I KNOW something's wrong with my leg/hip muscles, though not necessarily MS.

I feel like a MIRACLE has happened! I had totally given up on ever expecting a doctor to listen to me about this stuff again. I had only intended to talk to him about weight loss and an ENT referral (I want to get a type of hearing implant that my other insurance doesn't cover), but he actually ASKED! And LISTENED!

I feel like tomorrow I'll wake up from this impossible dream!

Nancy T.
Nancy T is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
braingonebad (01-26-2008), sugarboo (01-28-2008)