View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 09:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default B12 issues from the field

Though new to the forum, I saw this thread on B12 and had to comment... This is one of the most common problems in my elderly patients (I'm an ophthalmologist). It is massively under-diagnosed in the US because our "normals" are too low. All of us have problems absorbing B12 as we age and I would hazard to guess that most of our population is B12 deficient as we pass about 45... I have checked hundreds and hundreds of 70-80 year olds with pale optic nerves, etc. When their levels are checked by their family doctor, they are often told they are "normal" even though they are below 400... This is simply wrong and they always have more energey, feel better, etc., when placed on IM B12. There is not a good oral solution to this (there is a new sublingual or intra-nasal for B12, but very very expensive - IM is dirt cheap). Doctors rebel against giving the stuff as they are paid nothing and the insurance system will deny that it is necessary...

In Peace and Hope...
Robert Dotson, MD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bearygood (01-27-2008), Jodylee (01-26-2008), lou_lou (01-26-2008), Vowel Lady (01-26-2008)