View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 01:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank You all for your good ideas.

Sandi-I realize now that I developed the elbow pains when I had to start sleeping my back 3 mos ago. It helped my TOS arm numbness but created the other. I will try the pillows elevating my arms at my sides now. Always a matter of paying close attention to the body!

I have had tendonitis like stuff for 25 yrs and I understand now that TOS is only one part of the picture. I've been able to realize things on my own and with the help of PTs, etc but I really feel like I want a "partner" in a doctor that will help me put it all together and who can make intelligent suggestions regarding meds, surgeries, etc. Due to my Hypermobility, I have been able to understand why many of my body parts beyond the brachial plexus have had and are subject to health issues. I know that my body needs to remain as strong as possible so that I don't get additional strains but my problem is that I am often unable to keep fit due to body pains and these days surgeries. And I really haven't been able to exercise my upper body for over 4 yrs due to TOS and that weakness is now creating more problems.

I have an appt with a new neurologist on Tuesday but I am thninking about canceling it. I haven't found any neurologist since I moved from CA that knows or treats TOS. This one, like others, said they do over the phone but when I get there it's another story. Like the physiatrist last week whose said he treats TOS but when I arrived told me he hasn't yet and dismissed me, telling me I have fibromyalsia and to come back after I have 2 rib resections and another needed serious surgery also related to my connective tissue.

I don't think it's wrong to want to understand what is going on in my arms and hands in addition to the TOS because I can then try to tailor my exercise routine or PT or meds or ice/heat to try to address them. That is, unless you people keep me on track and tell me that it is pointless to know the diff diax?? It's not for WC, I just thought the info would be helpful for me and my practitioners. And I won't go through with one or both rib-resections unless absolutely necessary. Dr. Annest told me that people live with some degree of vascular compression just fine and wasn't certain of my need for surgery w/o some repeated tests. I'd like a doctor who can communicate with the TOS surgeon to help me get the tests repeated w/o traveling out of state but so far I haven't found one. I'd also like to get someone to confirm the Hypermobility so I can do anything possible to address that. What this means for anyone who doesn't know is that the laxity in the ligaments allows for instability of the joints and allows the body to easily get all the many things I've had over the years. From tendonitis to osteo-arthritis to cervical disk and joint disease to torn or overstretched ligaments to TOS / brachial plexus syndrome. I've had a few surgeries over the years to correct injuries that my PT believes were mlore easily caused due to hypermobility. And right now I have some serious pains in addition to the TOS and I'd like to be in better shape before having my next surgery.

I could try a rheumatologist I suppose or an ortho or the neurologist. I'm getting very weary with the whole thing. I've been able to get local doctors to refill my CA prescriptions but noone to help me evaluate what meds would be best suited for me at this time.

Last edited by fern; 01-26-2008 at 05:42 PM.
fern is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote