View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 06:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecyn View Post
Any surgery creates scar tissue.
Since you have had one surgery before why "spot" treat it?
Get to the root of the problem.
But, you have to see the correct physician's and have the correct diagnostic work-up.

Get your self to an expert...
If it's bone, go to an ortho
If it's nerve, go to a Neurologist
If it's vascular, go to a Vascular surgeon
Unfortunately, I am not in a position to go to Denver any time soon, so I have to rely on what I can find in my area. I'm not really sure where else I would go.

A bit of history:

First doc - my family doc who sent me for PT. Did that for three months, things got a little better, then seemed to stagnate. Family doc wanted me to see a pain management doc, but I wanted to find the cause of the pain.

Second doc - spine guy - said there was nothing wrong in the cervical area except normal arthritic changes. He ordered MRI of my neck and EMG testing.

Third doc - neurologist - EMG test showed extremely positive for nerve slowing at the elbow. I saw him several times and he ultimately sent me to

Fourth doc - shoulder/arm guy - sent me for shoulder MRI which was basically negative. X-ray showed bone spur on my shoulder. Had ulnar transposition (based upon EMG and tests in office) and arthroscopic shoulder surgery to remove bone spur and "look around". PT again for three months, and felt better, but not pain free.

One year after surgery, still with shoulder pain, sent to PT. Helped somewhat, but not the improvement I needed.

September of this year, ulnar symptoms returned and got progressively worse. Original surgeon sent me back to PT for 6 weeks, which made elbow and shoulder much worse. He felt that because of the time lapse since the first surgery, as well as office testing, that scar tissue was the cause of my symptoms. Sent me for second opinion, which was the same. He does feel that I also have TOS, but that it is the entrapment at the elbow that is causing numbness and curling of my fingers.

I tend to agree about the scar tissue, and should I have this second surgery, I would be vigilent about doing nerve glides as soon as possible. (This wasn't done in my second PT until the end of treatment, and it wasn't suggested that I continue it.)

I am trying to manage the TOS symptoms with changes in my physical posture, etc., as well as using Sharon Butler's program. I would be reluctant to have the TOS surgery, and feel that treating in this way is helpful.

Sue
pianoplayer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote