View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Janlici - thanks for the link.

I think before MRI, the dx was mostly based on what they could rule out they did plus your sx history.

You'd have thought the MRI would have cleared a lot up but instead maybe they've found 2 things they did not expect; that not all people with ms present lesions right off, and that a lot of people with or without DO present lesions for whatever other reason (they may never know all the causes of brain scars).

The thing mentioned that really hit home with me was that it (McDonald's criteria) does not mention which diseases/disorders, etc need to be ruled out. That needs to be addressed. We see how hit and miss that is.

Other than that, if MdC was followed, it might keep a lot of people from being mis-dx'd I would think. Maybe the docs need a check off list?

GJ - I have not seen any neuros who dx based on sx - those are not treated as part of the criteria, those are how they decide how they test though. It's the test results that count toward *time and space* in my experience.

Lesions on the brain and an abnormal test like LP would be space. A new lesion a year later would be time.

I could have (and have had) several new sx over the course of more than 5 years in all different parts of my body, and none of that counts for *time and space*. Just my personal experience, as I said. Other neuros may not see it the way mine have.