View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Fern,

Don't know if you've been this route, but if not, might be worth a try. Before you do, ask ANYONE and EVERYONE you can who they recommend, ask any nurses you know who they would see, ask your PCP who he wd send his wife to. Really spend time getting an idea who are the top ones in the field, that will listen, spend time at appts, research, and not waste your time.

A rheumatologist can help with the hypermobility issues and also any arthritis related issues. Be sure to demonstrate, just so they can observe, HOW hypermobile you are, all the joints that are hypermobile and just how bendy they are. This is important to do, once, as certain levels of hypermobility along with other traits may nudge the Dr to send you for genetic testing. These Drs probably understand best what a challenge PT is for hypermobile
TOSers! They will also order blood tests which may sometimes show auto-immune issues and any other counts or values that are abnormal.

I don't know that they will be able to adress the tendonitis directly, but that is likely related to both the TOS and the hypermobility. They may order x-rays or MRI, then develop a plan of PT for you, which hopefully wd include ultrasound (that deep heat works wonders for me), or they might refer you to a shoulder doc with more specialized knowledge, then confer with him after your appt, but I think having that understanding of your underlying soft tissue laxity is crucial to effective treatment.

I have the same condition, and have found that most Drs really don't pay any attention when I mention this as if they can't see how it could pose any real problem. Well, it didn't much when the nerves and muscle were healthy, but once the nerve is damaged and the muscles are weakened it makes it next to impossible to strengthen them again, especially when you have TOS. And it does mean a lot of twisted ankles, popping jaws, partially dislocated hips and knees and the like, and more aches and pains in those joints as we get older from all that popping in and out!

Anyway, that's my suggestion! Good luck finding the Dr and the answers you're looking for - seems like it's like playing the Lottery almost.

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote