View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayoKay View Post
huge decision, and I debated it (internally) for over a year.

then, the decision was made FOR me, by a massive flare that left me unable to walk or drive.

my main fear was as a single mom of three youngsters, I had to have a "revenue stream" and was petrified of the lag-time for the start of SSDI.

I had no medical insurance at work, so part of the "pro" side of my internal debate was that going on SSDI would get me Medicare.

"con" side was the kid's school tuition, and lots of bills to pay.

"pro" - I could take desperately needed naps, and not be literally *crawling* into the house after work.

"con" - I would miss adult interaction, personal satisfaction at work well done, praise from colleagues, and intellectual stimulus.

"pro" - I would have energy to care for my children!

it all worked out, as I got STATE disability insurance (California) and that tided me over until the SSDI kicked in.

a few times since then, I've actually felt physically well enough to work fulltime (for a short while) but then I remembered the cogfog... and the errors I was making.

like locking myself out of my car three times in one day, forgetting customers' names, and stuff... so I am glad I'm no longer working.
Ditto for me Kayo. I went through the same thing only I wasn't diagnosed. In August 2005 I had my 1st document exacerbation. It took me a few months to recup and walk again without falling. Then I was hit with exacerbation #2 in Jan '06 and so my cycle of MS began with a fury and finally settled down this past summer. I still have trouble and those days remind me why I can't go back in the workforce.

It is a tough decision. However, MS made the decision for me by crash landing in my brain. LOL.

Have you made a list of all the pros and cons as well as what some of your limitations are in respect to your job? This might help you sort it out.

Hang in there Fin. What ever you decide I support you 100%.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote